The kitchen is particularly geared for nutritional therapy consonant with naturopathy. The basic principle of Naturopathy is that the body contains its own healing power and nature assists in the body’s ability to use the natural world around it for that healing process to be effective. If you do not consume the right kind of food that helps the body in its native ability and consume items that are unnatural and go against your body’s immunity, you are in fact abusing your body nutritionally.
Food is an essential activity where whims, fancies, illogicality, and abuse is maximum. The general tendency is, to select an item if it satiates our taste bud. As a result, the mouth becomes the widest gate of diseases.
Eating the least toxic and most natural foods should be the aim. This means:
- Foods that are as close to their natural state as possible.
- Foods that are free of chemical additives and preservatives.
To obtain optimum health and healing through diet and nutrition, our primary intake should ideally include organic whole foods that are as fresh as possible which will ensure maximum nutritional value.
Foods that is typical of a naturopathic diet, include:
- A variety of fresh raw vegetables and fruits (organic and seasonal)
- Steamed and cooked vegetables
- Fresh herbs and spices
- Whole grains (organic)
- Healthy fats in moderate amounts: Olive oil, Sunflower oil, Coconut oil, Flax seed oil
- Legumes and pulses
- Dairy products include milk, curd, and buttermilk
- Soya and its products – milk, curd, tofu, and buttermilk
- Nuts and seeds
- Beverages which include water, herbal teas, and fresh fruits or vegetable juices
It is not only selecting the right food for optimum health, but the method of cooking too is important in maintaining the nutrients at their highest level in the food. Hence a wide range of cooking methods is used in our kitchen like steaming, stir fry, baking, sautéing, grilling and roasting. These preparations are appetizing and also nutritious.
Making a personal commitment to yourself to improve your diet and lifestyle can be a powerful experience. It is more a matter of self-imposed discipline and a conscious decision that matter most in the case of one’s own palate. That is the only way you will avoid feeling deprived, and at the same time, will be able to continue the journey towards optimum health.