Rope & Belt therapy is pioneered by Yogacharya BKS Iyengar Guruji way back in 1970. Dr. S. V. Karandikar, an ardent disciple of Guruji further developed it. Being an expert clinician & blessed with research mind, he applied his anatomical & physiological acumen for musculoskeletal disorders.
It is used as an adjunct in conservative management of Osteoarthritis of Knee Joint, Lumbar & Cervical Spondylosis.
Rope and Belt Therapy is a valuable application in modern Yogic Science. The classical Yogic postures form its’ base. The patients with a history of pain & muscular spasm, are unable to perform & practice classical Yogic postures. Rope & belt Therapy is extremely useful in such cases. It is advised for the one-month duration to six months after which the patients’ day to day activity comes back to normal & one can practice classical Yogic postures & moderate aerobic activities.
Rope & Belt Therapy is extremity useful for highly motivated, adherent, studious, self-care type persons. In case of senior citizens, it requires a support system at the family level.
The Basic Principles For Rope & Belt Therapy Are
- Stretching of selective skeletal muscles.
- Restoration of alignment of bones.
- Correction of weight bearing axis of the body.
- Improvement of Postural awareness.
- Passive Correction of Pelvic & Shoulder Girdles.
Rope & Belt Therapy Has Two Components
- To be given by experienced Yoga therapist at Yoga Center.
- To be learned by the patient & used in day to day life.